Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Golden Rule vs. Iron Rule

Yesterday I had the amazing opportunity to sit with my husband at his company's 75th anniversary. I was moved to tears a few times as I heard stories of children and families that needed basic services and how the company could provide them with continued funding from donors. The current leader of the company shared the golden rule, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." He also spoke of the iron rule that my husband has mentioned a few times at home, "Never do for someone what they are capable of doing themselves." This is a tough one for me as I struggle to wanting to help people and sometimes struggle with where the line should be drawn.

I spoke with a friend today and we talked about demanding respect from people even during their hardest times. I am one that struggles with mean people. It hurts my feelings and I don't easily brush it off. I also hate to see others treated with disrespect for no reason. It is not loving and it only makes more division. Honestly I don't care how bad your life, job, health, or marriage is you have NO reason to treat others horribly. I will call people on this because it is not okay and I ask for others to call me on this too. I know that it is hard when you are tired, stressed, and grieving to always be in the best of moods, but you can still be nice to others. You don't have to be happy all the time; just be nice.

I shared this story with my sister once...I personally lived a nightmare for several weeks. It seems a little morbid to mention it, but I was pregnant for an additional 6 weeks after learning that I was carrying around a dead baby inside of me. Yes, this was a nightmare. Was I angry and hurt? Yes, very much so. Did I lash out at others and treat them with disrespect? NO! It is never okay. Yes, it is a bad day in my neck of woods and I choosing to write rather than scream. It is one of those days that I am really struggling to see the good in some people. As I write this though I am reminded of the sweet girl from my small group that has lovingly taken my nephew for the past week so that I could work, of my dear friend Jodie who insists on bringing me dinner and of the numerous people that I have in my life that treat me with respect and love. Hand out love, not hate to others. That is my message for today!