Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Categorization of Sin

James 2:10

"For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it."

Kyle and I had a deep and meaningful conversation the other night about sins and Christianity. We both had been having a rough week and were quite sick of all of the political debates in our personal lives and Facebook debates about marriage equality and same-sex marriages. Kyle is not a Facebook user, but sometimes finds it interesting to look at my account while scrolling through the iPad. He asked me what all the fuss was about the equal sign and red cross. I explained that there was a huge debate about same-sex marriages. Just to mess with me he began to argue for the opposite side of where he stood. I didn't even know how to respond. He then concluded his statement by asking me if I had ever thought about the fact that so many of us try to categorize sin. We both thought about the fact that as Jesus died and went to heaven that he promised the thief next to Him that he would also be in paradise that day. 

Under the bible's lessons are all the sins the same? Is it our place to place an importance on one sin over another? Why do we get so bent out of shape about the fact that someone wants to marry their same-sex partner, but don't even shake our heads at the fact that members of our own church live together in sin for years without getting married. When did we decidee that one sin was so much more worse than another. Please don't get me wrong I am not saying that I am in agreement or disagreement with any of the above I am purely stating that I am tired of listening to people judge each other. I am tired of people turning a blind eye to what is completely wrong. I was introduced to the sin and sinful lifestyle statement this week and it made me think again. Yes, we should save our brother/sister from death of sin, but I firmly believe it is not my place to make someone feel like they are committing the worst sin possible because I don't agree with their lifestyle. Perhaps I will end with the greatest commandment, Love one another.