Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Breathing Support

Bronson, 1 hour old
Today is one of those days that I have to remind myself that at one point in my healthy 4 year old's life he was on life support. Without the help of Oxygen, IV's, and other medical interventions he would not have survived. It is also a day that I take a moment to thank the Lord that my son had a very minimal time on the CPAP (8 hours) and that he weaned off of nasal prongs very quickly too. I am an avid NICU/Preemie blog reader and it amazes me to see the difference in long-term health amongst those born prematurely. Not everyone is as "lucky" in regards to their children's health. I hate to use the term lucky because I do not really feel lucky, I just feel extremely blessed. I know that my fellow NICU/Preemie parents also consider themselves just as blessed. We all feel that the Lord has provided us with a very huge miracle.

I will continue to support the March of Dimes by raising awareness, funds, and advocacy as long as I am able. March of Dimes helps moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies. I strongly believe that the surfactant that I received upon arrival to the hospital is the reason that my son had very minimal breathing support. I just got done reading about a set of twins that are still on oxygen support at nearly 4 years old. My prayers go up for their family as they are now working through the stages of weaning. God is a wonderful healer. I pray for these children and ask for your support via prayer too.

Our family is marching for babies on April 28th of this year. I was just messaged that we currently hold the number #1 spot in the state of Oregon. Although I am very happy to hear this news it makes me sad that we can currently hold the top spot despite our decrease of $3000 in funds. This means that all teams are struggling to make their goals. This in returns that March of Dimes will be getting less funds this year to further their mission. Please think about supporting our March for Babies team by making a donation! No donation is too small. One team makes over $20,000 per year by getting more than 90% of their donations in $10 increments. Help us beat last year's goal! Visit our March for Babies page: http://www.marchforbabies.org/team/deetsangels