Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Women's Retreat 2013

This weekend I was asked by a very good friend of mine, Alex Graber to share my testimony at Women's Retreat. I was trying to decide whether or not to post it on my blog, but have decided to refrain at this time as I feel that part of a testimony is the ability to interact with your listeners. I was very humbled by the wonderful introduction that Alex made as she is just as special to me. Last year was a rough year and part of what made it even harder was the fact that she was half a country away. I am so thankful that circumstances have brought her back to Dallas where we can continue to share life together and she can fulfill one of my little dreams; teaching my son kindergarten.

I love the picture above because it was the very first time that Alex ever got to hold Bronson. Kyle and I were freaks about germs and it was because of this that many of our friends and family didn't get the opportunity until after he arrived home from the hospital. By the time Alex is holding B in this picture he is actually bigger than a couple of her children were at the time of their birth. It wasn't for lack of involvement that Alex didn't get to hold B sooner. One of my fondest and most cherished memories is that Alex and her parents all decided to be there for us on the day of Bronson's delivery. The power of the prayer and love that we felt knowing that they were there can not be explained in words. It is a little treasure that I will forever store in my love tank. Alex too says that she recalls the exact moment that they wheeled our little two pound miracle out of the c-section room and how it felt to know that he was locking eyes with each person that was hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I know that watching the miracle of Bronson's birth and growth has made an impact on Alex's life as it has many, but I don't know if she knows how much her support has meant to me.

This year's women's retreat focused on friendship traits. We were so blessed to have a speaker that poured her heart out to us in regards to pregnancy loss and infertility and integrated the story of Ruth and Naomi in showing how God is forever writing our story and blessing us even in our seasons of suffering and uncertainty. I have been able to attend several women's retreats in the past and this year stands out as the best. It was amazing how each and every aspect of  women's retreat flowed into the next and how God used Kim Bucher's story to lead into Robyn's next message and provided the appropriate words during my story to lead into the next message. God's hands were all over the place. It was also a weekend of many tears as many of my friends could relate to the heart ache associated with pregnancy loss, infertility, or stillbirth. I am thankful that God provided me the strength throughout the weekend when I needed it and allowed me to love on women that needed it too.

I have mentioned several times on my blog how thankful I am for our church family. I firmly believe that attending Grace Community Church has been such a life source for Kyle and I. It is a place that is woven into so much of our story. I am so thankful for the sweet and wonderful friendships that we have made in our last twelve years and I look forward to many more retreats learning more about the women that I call my church family.