Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

My Strength Comes From

Years ago I posted a blog about breastfeeding that made some people upset. When I later wrote a blog apologizing I had a friend remind me that it is my blog for a purpose; to express my opinions, faith, and just to write. She said that you should NEVER have to apologize on your blog. In saying that I never want what I have written to purposely hurt or offend someone. I know that yesterday's blog could have come across as blunt or as a direct attack to someone dealing with cancer in their life. That was not my intention. The reason that two specific cancers were mentioned is that more than often when someone hears that a young woman has cancer they assume that is breast cancer. Also, there was a lot of confusion about the placement of her original tumor and many thought that the diagnosis was liver cancer. I wanted to clear the air. I will also admit that I struggle when I get emails from people sharing their horror stories of chemo and losing their loved ones.

In saying all of the above I will say that one of the most important life lessons that I have been taught is that NO ONE has the same story. I have been reminded of this over and over again in the arena of prematurity. Just because my son was born early does not mean that his story is the same as someone else. More often than not when I visit a parent in the NICU or provide support to a fellow preemie parent I just want them to know I am here for them. It is not my place to share stories unless they ask advice or for my opinion. I know that they are scared. I can try to imagine how they feel, but I am not them and do not know for sure. The same situation applies for cancer. When I found out that Ashley's cancer had come back I was at work and completely lost it. My dear friend and co-worker immediately dropped her work and came over to rub my shoulders and provide a hug. She didn't need to say anything. Her older brother just went home to heaven a couple of weeks ago because of cancer and the unspoken emotion between the two of us meant so much more. It is a hard life lesson to learn, but often the best words a person can hear is I am here for you, I love you, and I will pray for you. I know that those words provide a lot of strength.

My strength truly comes from the Lord. He has provided me with an amazing family and a great network of friends. I feel very loved. I know that the Lord doesn't give us cancer. I know that he doesn't want to see us suffer. He wants us to be with Him in heaven and if we have to face trials in our time here on earth to show someone that God exists, than I firmly believe it is the desire of His heart to use it as part of our testimony. Life is not easy; but I don't believe that it is supposed to be.

Isaiah 40:28-31  Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God,   the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint,   and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary,and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;   they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary;   they shall walk and not faint.

As you are praying for my sister there are tons of my friends and family that are also fighting their own battles with cancer. Let's pray specifically for these people and in general to pray for a cure for this HORRIBLE disease. Please pray for continued clear screenings for Peggy Lee, Shelia Wallace, and Jamie Olsen. Pray for  Bill Archibald and his continued battle with cancer. Pray for my co-worker Heather McDaniel that just celebrated 1 year cancer free. Pray for my dear co-worker Marie LeJeune's husband and father to their 4 kids, Nathan Meyer. Also, pray for Bob Bateman who battles this disease daily. Feel free to add your name to the list. Cancer does not discriminate. It does not care if you have a family, friends, or a life ahead. God does care about your family, friends, and the life you have. God wants to provide healing, love, and strength during this horrible battle. Let's keep praying...